We've all heard the age-old recommendation of drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. But while we know keeping well hydrated is a must (more on that later), a recent study at St. Andrews University in Scotland shows that water alone isn't the best beverage option when it comes to hydrating the body.
According to researchers, beverages like HALO Sport that contain electrolytes such as sodium and potassium promote water retention in the body and therefore keep you hydrated for longer. The electrolytes act like a sponge holding onto water. It's also easier to drink more HALO, with its refreshing aroma and light citrus taste, than plain old water. And the more you drink, the more hydrated you'll be.
With that said, why is hydration so critical? From cleansing the body of toxins to improving skin quality, here are 6 essential benefits of proper hydration:
- Detoxifies the body. Hydrating helps rid the body of toxins absorbed through the foods we eat, pollutants in the air, and the topical products we use. Keeping hydrated also ensures your kidneys have enough fluids to filter waste through urine.
- Fights fatigue. When you're dehydrated, any form of movement or exercise can feel incredibly taxing, both mentally and physically. Keeping hydration levels high has been shown to prevent this from happening as it keeps the muscles nice and primed.
- Alleviates headaches and improves mood. Studies show dehydration can impair brain performance and even trigger headaches. While hydrating won't completely eliminate headaches, it can reduce intensity and duration of headaches, alleviate brain fog and improve overall mood.
- Improves digestion. Your body needs to be well hydrated in order to carry out important bodily functions like repairing cells, digesting food, and kicking your metabolism into gear.
- Regulates body temperature. Hydrating helps cool the body down and prevents overheating or heat exhaustion, which is especially important during intense exercise or high stress when the body is producing a lot of heat.
- Promotes healthy skin. With proper hydration, skin glows from from the inside out. Dehydrated skin is less elastic and thus more prone to dryness, redness, fine lines and wrinkles. Hydrate with HALO and you'll get the added skin benefit of powerful antioxidants.
If you have a goal to hydrate more this year, we invite you to join our 30-Day Hydration Challenge. All you have to do is drink one HALO every day for 30 days and feel the difference. Send an email to email@example.com sharing your experience and be entered to win a one year supply. Happy hydrating!